In South India, most of the houses will have this Murungai Maram (முருங்கை மரம்). This murungai maram (Moringa tree) has all the benefits including from their leaves to roots. It is rich in Iron, so consuming it regularly will give a good impact on our body.
Murungai Poo or Moringa flower reduces the body heat, eye irritation or pain and stomach ache.
Someone wrote some beautiful lines about Moringa Oleifera
Get ready with the ingredients……..
Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and add mustard, Bengal gram dal (கடலை பருப்பு), cumin seeds and let it crack in the oil. Then add some curry leaves.
Note: Simmer the stove and add the curry leaves.
Now add 3 to 4 dry red chilies and half a cup of onion/shallots (சின்ன வெங்காயம்).
Sault the onion well until it cooks well. Then add in 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder and salt.
Next add moringa flower/ muranga poo (முருங்கை பூ) in the pan. And mix it well.
Cover the pan and cook it in the medium flame. The murangai poo contains water. So, we no need to add excess water in it.
Note: Don’t cook it in high flame. Cause, this will burn the murangai poo.
Make a hallow in the center. Then crack the eggs and add it in the pan.
Note: If you don’t want to add egg in the poriyal, you can skip from this part.
Mix it well with poriyal and add some crushed black pepper. Let the stove be in medium flame till the egg cooks well.
Off the stove and serve it.
Moringa Flower stir fry | Muruga poo poriyal
2 1/2 cups of murangai poo (முருங்கை பூ)
1 cup shallots (சின்ன வெங்காயம்) / onion
1 tsp Mustard
1 tsp Bengal Gram Dal (கடலை பருப்பு)
1 tsp cumin seeds
3 or 4 dried red chilies
2 springs of curry leaves
1 tsp crushed black pepper powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 eggs (optional)
2 tbsp oil
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard, cumin seeds, Bengal gram dal and it cracks in the oil.
- Then add the dried red chilies and onion. Let the onion cook well.
- Add in turmeric powder and cook till the raw smell goes out.
- Next, add the murungai poo (முருங்கை பூ) and required salt. Mix all together and reduce the flame to medium.
- Cover the pan. No water required. Once it dry, make a hollow in the center and crack 2 eggs.
- Add pepper and salt (for the egg) and give a quick mix. Cover the pan and let them cook for 10 minutes in medium flame.
- Serve it hot.