My granny and my mom used to make pickles at home. It’s very rare that we buy pickles from the grocery store. Today’s recipe is nellikai urugai or Star gooseberry pickle. This is my periamma’s recipe. She taught me how to make it. So the credits go to her. This pickle is an instant recipe and also an easy one which can be made in just 10 minutes.
Like Amla, the star gooseberry is also packed with lots of health benefits. This gooseberry packed with lots of nutrients and also it is low in calories and fat. Like Amla, this fruit also acts as a weight-reducing agent. You can lose weight with the Star Gooseberry as well.
You can find this fruit in most of the places. But most people don’t know the recipes that we can make with this star gooseberry. Don’t worry I’m here to share some of the recipes using star gooseberry in the upcoming articles.
Let’s get ready with the ingredients…..
First, take 1/4 kg Star Gooseberry and wash it twice in the water. Then strain the water completely. Pat the gooseberry using a dry cloth, so that you can absorb the water.
Then take a needle and poke the gooseberries gently. (Skip this part if your gooseberry is too watery.)
Heat oil in a pan, and add 1/2 tbsp of mustard seeds. Saute it until the seeds crack.
Then lower the flame and add 1 1/2 tbsp of red chili powder, 1/4 tbsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp of Asafoetida, and 1/2 tsp of fenugreek powder. Mix everything well until you get a nice aroma. ( it took 1 minute for me).
Don’t not burn the masala.
Note: Dry roast the fenugreek seeds and powder them.
Next add the star gooseberries and coat it with the masala. After 30 seconds, add the required salt and saute it well. I have added 1 and 1/2 tbsp of Salt. Adjust it accordingly.
Cover it with a lid and leave it for 2 minutes.
After 2 minutes, remove the lid and give a mix. Leave the pan open and let them cook until the masala coats well on the gooseberries. It took around 8 minutes for me.
Turn off the flame and let the pickle to cool. Once after its done, store the pickle in a glass jar or ceramic pot.
You can enjoy the pickle for about 1 week at room temperature and up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.
Nellikai Pickle | How to make Star Gooseberry pickle?Course: Healthy Recipes, How-To
1/4 kg Star gooseberries
1 and 1/2 tbsp of red chili powder
1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp of Asafoetida
1/2 tsp fenugreek powder
5 tbsp gingelly oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
Salt (as per required)
- Take the star gooseberry in a bowl and wash it twice with water. Then strain the water completely. Use a dry cloth to remove the water from the gooseberries.
- Poke the gooseberry with a needle to make small holes. If the gooseberry is too water, skip this process.
- Then heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. Let them crack well. Once after that, lower the flame and add the red chili powder, turmeric powder, Asafoetida, fenugreek powder and mix well in the oil.
- Then add the star gooseberries and salt. Coat them with the masala and cover the pan with a lid and let them cook for about 2 minutes in low flame.
- Then remove the lid and saute the goose berry and let it cook for about 8 to 10 minutes in the open pan.
- Now the masala coats well with the gooseberries. Its the right time to remove the pan from the stove.
- Let them cool down completely and store it in an air tight glass jar or ceramic pot. Enjoy this pickle up to a week in room temperture.
- Don’t burn the masala, cause it will spoil the pickle’s taste.
- The pickle has to be cooked completely in the low flame.