Let’s get ready with the ingredients……
Take a bowl, add 1 cup of foxtail millet ( Thinai தினை arisi ) and 1/2 cup of toor dal. Wash it twice in the water and soak it for about 1/2 hour.
Once the soaking process is done, take the cooker and add 2 tbsp of coconut oil ( you can any other oil, but trust me coconut oil gives you a wonderful taste). Then add 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds, 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds, a pinch of Asafoetida, and 1/2 tsp cumin seeds.
Then add 1 green chili and 2 spring of curry leaves. Saute it about 10 seconds.
Now its time to add the shallots. Add 10 to 15 shallots in the cooker and 3 garlic cloves. You can add big onion instead of shallots. Once the shallots are fried, add 1 chopped tomato. Saute them well in the oil.
Once the tomato is cooked, add the chopped vegetables ( You can use the vegetable of your choice. Here, I have used drumstick, carrot, beans, and brinjal). Saute the vegetables for 1 minute in the oil. Then add 1 and 1/2 tbsp of sambar powder and 1/4 tbsp of turmeric powder. This is the important part, so saute the masala powder until the raw smell goes out. ( It took 1 minute for me)
Increase the quantity of sambar powder as per your taste.
Remember only if the masala is cooked well then you can get the tastiest sambar sadam. Now add the extracted tamarind juice and cook them for 30 minutes.
Then strain the water completely from the rice and add them to the cooker. Mix them all together. Add 5 cups of water and give everything a quick mix. Add salt and cover the cooker.
For measuring water, use the same cup that you have measured the millet. For 1 cup of rice add 5 cups of water.
Lower the flame to medium and let them cook for around 5 to 6 whistles. Turn off the stove and let it depressurize naturally.
The sambar sadam should be little watery. It’s the perfect condition of Sambar Sadam. Give everything a good mix.
That’s it your Thinai Sambar Sadam is ready to service. You can add ghee to the rice while serving.
Thinai Sambar Sadam Recipe| Foxtail Millet Sambar RiceCourse: Healthy Recipes, Weight Loss Guidelines and Recipes
Thinai Sambar Sadam is one of the healthiest recipes that you can easily make at home.
1 cup Thinai arisi / Foxtail millet
1/2 cup toor dal
2 cups of chopped vegetables
1 big tomato
10 to 15 shallots ( or 1 cup of chopped big onion)
3 garlic cloves
1/4 cup of tamarind juice
1 and 1/2 tbsp of Sambar Powder
1/4 tbsp of turmeric powder
1 green chili
2 spring of curry leaves
2 tbsp coconut oil
Salt ( as per taste)
- First take a bowl and add 1 cup of thinai arisi and 1/2 cup of toor dal. Wash them twice and strain the water completely. Now add 2 cups of water and soak them for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, heat 2 tbsp of coconut oil in the cooker and add in 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds, a pinch of Asafoetida, and 1/4 tsp of fenugreek seeds. Next add the green chili and curry leaves, saute them for 10 seconds and add the shallots.
- Once the shallots are fried in oil, add the chopped tomato and saute it until is cooked. Then add the chopped vegetables and saute it for about 1 minute.
- Then add the sambar powder and turmeric powder. This is an important process in making Sambar sadam. So. saute them for about a minute until the oil spills out.
- Next, add the tamarind juice and mix well with the vegetables. Cook them for 30 seconds.
- Once it done, strain the water completely from the rice and add thinai arisi and the dal in the cooker. Give it a quick mix and add 5 cups of water.
- At this stage, add the required salt and mix it well. Cover the cooker and lower the flame to medium and put on the whistle.
- After 5 to 6 whistles, turn off the stove and let it depressurize naturally.
- The right consistency will be little watery. You can refer to the picture shown above. Add some ghee before serving.
- Always remember, while making sambar sadam, for 1 cup of rice you have to add 5 cups of water. The same measuring cup has to be used for both measurements.